Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's day

Mother's day.
This day always results in reflection for me. 

Reflection of what kind of mother I have been and what kind of mother I want to be. 

It's sneaking into my kids rooms to watch them sleep 

and pray over them. 

Asking myself-- what do I want them to remember about me as a mom? 

What kind of legacy am I leaving? 

Mother's day isn't about expensive gifts to me.

 It's about togetherness. 

Being together as a family of 6 doing life and enjoying each other, that's it. That's what I want. A full house.

 But this year Jordan really tried to make it special for me. He wanted me to feel a bit of reprieve on this day so he did most of the things that I would normally do and refused to let me pitch in. 

The act of selflessness that he showed me wasn't special because it meant I got a break. 

It was special because it was thoughtful, selfless and kind. 

He set his alarm early and got up and got all of the kids, fed, dressed and ready for church for EARLY service (that meant leaving the house by 7:45am).

 It meant him wrangling the 2 year old through out the whole service (and lunch) so I could sit back and relax, hold the baby and listen to the message with my 4 and 6 year old on each side. 

It was letting me chose where to eat brunch.  

It was him changing every dirty diaper...every single one.

And when the kids all decided they needed to go to the bathroom at the same time HE took all 3 of them and left me to relax at the table with Caleb.


 We had fun together and we laughed together...my favorite. 






And THEN we napped. 

By "we" I mean the kids and me. 

Jordan did everything he could to make sure I got a nap in today. He put the big kids down and waited until they were asleep to leave to go to work. 

I woke up 2 hours later to a quiet house and found these on my kitchen table. 


The flowers were sweet but the card is what meant the most. 

The words inside...he always knows exactly what to say. 


Then it was afternoon snuggles with the kids while we waited for daddy to get back home from work. 

This guy gave me my first REAL smile. 

Watching them love on each other...these are the moments that count.

I got to be a spectator while Jordan cooked dinner and cleaned up the house, put the kids to bed and then went BACK to work. 

This Mother's day wasn't great because they showered me with lavish gifts all day, it was great because these people I live with tried. They really tried to honor me all day. That speaks volumes. It was great because I got to spend it with the people I love the most.



At the end of the day I find myself refreshed and renewed and challenged to do better...to be better. 

I reflect on the legacy that has been left from our moms. 

The way they selflessly cared for us for years (and still do). 

They joy they show when they see us and our kids. 
The way they light up. 
The way they take time to be fully present with us and with our kids.

They set an amazing godly example for me and Jordan. 

I hope they felt honored today too.

1 comment:

Simpsons said...

I loved reading this! You're such an amazing mom and overall person:) Love you and miss you!