Friday, February 4, 2011

9 months old

Seriously how is Madison already 9 months old?! Our sweet baby girl is getting big way too fast. She seriously changed overnight this month. She went from the quiet watcher to the extremely LOUD go getter! This little girl found her voice in a big way. The level of volume that she reaches totally cracks us up. We joke that she must be trying to talk over Hunter, who is a notoriously loud talker. She loves to hear the sound of her voice and will often times pick a note and literally hold it for like 45 seconds or until she runs out of air. It goes well beyond any normal amount of time we would expect one to be able to hold a note.

The big thing for her this month has to be that she took her first steps today! She has been standing alone since the day she turned 8 months old so I knew this first step would come soon but nonetheless she totally caught me off guard today. She was standing alone in front of me playing and I grabbed my phone to take her picture and she lunged towards me, taking one single but complete step. I kind of let out a surprised gasp and she sat down and looked up at me like I scared her! So then I spent the next few minutes trying to recreate it for Jordan and we were able to get her to take 2 steps in a row 3 different times. Each time she did it she was trying to reach for something.

This is actually the picture I was taking right before she stepped to me
Wondering why her momma is so crazy :-)
She started clapping too. She doesn't always make contact with her hands sometimes it's an air clap but she usually does it when she is dancing to music. She still has the same 6 teeth she had last month. She still cruises and crawls all over the room at an unbelievable speed so we pulled out the pack n play this month as our safe spot to put her when we need to. She does really well playing in there and will play for 30-45 minutes before she gets bored and wants to run loose. I never did the playpen with Hunter, but we also lived in a much easier place to baby proof at that time. It has worked out really well with Madison though. Sometimes Hunter will climb in there and play with her, which is cute.




She mastered the sippy cup this month. She has gotten water in a sippy at her meals since she started solids at 5 months. But at some point this month she figured out how to drink from it independently. So long as it is at least half full she can tilt it enough to drink it on her own. This was seriously THE BEST thing to her. Oh my word, she LOVES being able to get a drink when she wants to. She just giggles and giggles.


The sippy cup is pretty much her favorite entertainment right now. When we go on walks or have long car rides I will give her a lap full of toys and water in a sippy cup and she will spend the ENTIRE time playing with and drinking from her cup, giggling and laughing in between each sip.

She eats whatever we eat at meals plus her fruits and veggies in the baby food form. She still loves baby food so I continue to give it to her! Hunter was SO over baby food at this age that getting a well balanced diet in him was a bit challenging. It's definitely not an issue with this girl. In fact I can' t think of a single food she won't eat! She has a big appetite and is not a picky eater at all, for now. She tried peanut butter this month for the first time. We started with Hunter at 10 months and planned to introduce it to her around the same time but she had other plans in mind. One day Eli came over to play and I made the boys peanut butter sandwiches. I gave the boys their sandwiches and I went back to the kitchen to get Madison's food and I turned around to see Madison had swiped Eli's sandwich right off his plate and was eating it!


She loved it!

She also LOVES corn, just like her brother

My biggest challenge in the eating department with her is getting her to sit still long enough to nurse! She does really well first thing in the morning and right before bed. But her 11am and 3pm feeds are REALLY difficult. She has to have ZERO distractions and noises or lights...she is just way to busy to stop and nurse so I have to catch her when she is super tired. I really think she could drop down to just 3 sessions a day but I haven't attempted it yet. For now she nurses about 3-5 minutes on those afternoon feeds, if I'm lucky and then maybe closer to 10-15 minutes in the morning and at night.

Her 9 month checkup is is going to be at the same time as Hunter's 3 year checkup so I will post stats after I get them. She wears size 4 diapers, size 3 shoe, mostly size 12 month clothes. She is really long so if her outfits have feet she needs the 12 month but otherwise she can still fit in some 9 month stuff.

She is in the process of dropping her 3rd nap. She needs it about 50% of the time right now. Some days she naps for 1.5 hours in the morning and then 2.5-3 hours in the afternoon. On those days she only needs 2 naps. But then some days she takes shorter naps and she needs that third nap in order to make it to at least 6pm. The days she takes two naps she goes to bed at 6pm on the dot. Other days its closer to 6:30/6:45pm.

Her schedule right now is roughly:

7:00-7:30am wake, nurse and eat breakfast
9:00-10:30am nap 1
11:00am nurse and eat lunch
12:30-2:30pm nap 2
3:00pm nurse and eat a small snack
4:00-4:30pm nap 3
5:00pm dinner
6:00pm nurse
6:30pm bedtime

This is probably their favorite time of the day. They both LOVE bath time.
Madison has some crazy hair. I usually blow dry it after her bath so it isn't wild and crazy. When left on its own...it looks a bit like a macaroni penguin ;-)

She is such an easy baby. She eats well, sleeps well, is entertained easily and is always happy. She loves to watch Hunter. He can make her laugh easier than anyone. They have such a neat bond already and it's so much fun to watch them interact. Hunter loves to get her to wave bye-bye to him and he is always trying to get her to say momma and dadda. She loves to mimic him. She waves when he does, she sticks out her tongue when he does, and she clicks her tongue when he does. They love to play peek a boo and she will bow her head and then pop it back up and start laughing. I seriously could watch them interact all day long! Jordan and I are constantly entertained by them and we find ourselves laughing at them all the time. What an incredible blessing they have been in our lives. We love our little family.

This is my kind of night. S'mores by campfire with my 3 favorite people

1 comment:

Becky said...

Love the updates. Almost feels like I'm there. Keep 'em coming!