Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tales of the big boy bed

I have learned a few lessons while attempting nap time in a toddler bed. First, REMOVE ALL TOYS FROM ROOM. After that... you would think he would be bored out of his mind and eventually go get in bed. But it's amazing what fun can be had with empty baskets. Also, staring out the window can be an awesome time when one should be napping. Lastly, opening and closing the closet door is the most fun when it's repeat 5,722 times.

This really has been such an easy transition. At night it's PITCH black in his room so anything that could be entertaining can't be seen which results in Hunter just going right to sleep. However, the first attempt at nap time taught me that light in the room makes all the difference in the world. After the first hour of playing I finally went up there and moved him to his sister's crib which he protested big time but still went right to sleep because he was exhausted. I spent the remainder of his nap time removing all possible distractions from his room.

The second day I attempted nap time again in the big boy bed and after an hour of him playing I went and laid down with him till he went to sleep... that took all of about 60 seconds because again he was EXHAUSTED. He slept 3 hours.

Today, I put him up there and he was immediately quite, I couldn't hear him playing. So I scanned the room with the video monitor and couldn't see him ANYWHERE! Then I saw a small shadow behind the curtain of his room. He was staring out the window. I waited about 3o minutes, still didn't hear anything, so I checked the monitor again and he was still there! I waited another 30 minutes, still nothing, so I checked the monitor again and also noticed he had not moved. I opened his door pulled back the curtain and found him OUT COLD laying in front of the window. I couldn't see him on the monitor because he was behind the curtain. So I made him a pallet and walked out. So precious.

This has been so much fun. I was really dreading it, but it is just so adorable. Night time could not have been easier. He goes right to sleep and we wake up in the morning hearing him talking to the trains on his bed. When I go upstairs to get him he wants me to lay down and snuggle with him for a few minutes before heading downstairs. He is so proud of his bed and I am so proud of him.

It's hard to see because this is a picture of the video monitor but that is him curled up by the window. The curtain was over him but I moved it so he could have a semi dark room to nap in. I didn't want to risk waking him by transferring him to the bed. So I just made him a pallet.

2 comments:

Sarah W. said...

That is definitely the most hilarious thing I have seen in a long time!! What a funny kid!!

BrookeMahan said...

OMG I was dying laughing from this post! He is so cute and funny! I'm just laughing thinking about what Owen will do when he is big enough to go to the big boy bed. I can imagine what a challenge naptime will be!