Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Daytona Beach Triathlon

This past weekend was my 3rd and final triathlon of the season. Unfortunately I am having knee surgery next week which will sideline me for the rest of the season.

This time took us to Daytona Beach. My younger sister, Hayley, came to visit us for the week and join me in the race. Daytona is about an hour and half away from Jax so we decided to make it an overnighter since we had to be there at 6am Saturday morning. We hadn't been to Daytona yet so it was nice to have 2 full days to see the sites and the beach while we were there.

While we were there we hit up the ever popular Harley Davidson store where we all got souvenir t-shirts and Jordan got to pick out his future bike. He was in bike Heaven :)

This is just a random bike not the one Jordan wants
Saturday morning was beautiful. We stayed in a hotel right where the race was being held so we just woke up grabbed our bikes and walked to the beach. Jordan and Hunter made it in time to capture some pics of us in action. As you can see the surf was AWESOME again. I have lucked out and had 2/3 races with great swimming conditions. This was a smaller tri than the one I did 2 weeks ago. This one had about 150 participants divided into 2 heats (men and women) which made it pretty nice on the swim because there were less arms and legs kicking me!
You can see the heads bobbing up and down out there

This area of the beach had a crazy sandbar that they warned us about. It's a good thing because someone could have seriously gotten injured! You can see Hayley, to the far right of the picture below, standing on the sand bar (water up to her ankles). Right in front of her it drops suddenly like 4 feet, no slope, just a huge 4 foot step (you can see a guy in the water right in front of Hayley with the water over his shoulders). So, when we were running out into the water on the start of the swim it got gradually deep up to our shoulders and then suddenly a HUGE 4 foot step that brought us back up to ankle deep! It made for and interesting start and finish on the swim.

I put arrows for me and Haylo because this is the only picture that we are both in.

Me exiting the water

Haylo heading to transition

Me at T2 just finishing up the bike

Haylo at T2 just finishing up the bike

Haylo finishing up her run

Me on the home stretch


Just after the race


The transition area was at a park, which was nice, so
Hunter had something to do during the race.

Haylo got 1st in her age group and I got 3rd in my age group (we were in different groups). Hayley did AWESOME she got 5th in females overall!

Overall it was another great race. This one was a little shorter on the bike portion than the previous 2 races so our legs were still pretty fresh when the run started... however, one step into my run and I nearly collapsed with pain. I QUICKLY realized I forgot to take Aleve before the race (I can't remember the last time I ran without taking Aleve).... let's just say the run was interesting! I wanted to chop my left leg off and just quit because my knee hurt so bad. BUT it's getting fixed next week!! So no more pain for me... I can't even remember life without knee pain so this is pretty exciting.

2 comments:

Ryan & Mary Beth Davis said...

You go girl! I would last about 2 minutes in a triathlon before collapsing! Hope your knee surgery goes well...we'll be praying for you. Hunter is getting so big and is too cute! I love the pic of him in the Harley shop. My dad takes Jackson to the Harley store here, and he loves it. Will you guys be coming back anytime soon?

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! Love the pics from the race...yau'll did great!
I will be thinking of you next week. I hope your surgery goes well and you have a fast recovery. Let me know if you need anything!
Jaimi B.