Friday, June 19, 2009

16 months old

Hunter is 16 months old. Each month he just seems more and more like a little boy and less like my little baby. Case in point, this past month brought an interesting development. Hunter and I were playing in the living room one morning, while Jordan was at work. I got up to get something out of the kitchen when I suddenly heard the front door shut. I wasn't expecting Jordan home for a few more hours so I called out "Jordan?".... no response.

Hmm.

So I went to investigate.

I opened the door and no one was there... hmm

I looked over in the living room and saw that Hunter was no longer in there playing.

Then I heard it...

The elevator DING, indicating it had arrived at our floor.

I BOLTED out the door and made it to the elevator just in time... to find HUNTER GETTING ON ALL BY HIMSELF!!!
Yep this is exactly what I saw
I caught the elevator door JUST IN TIME... and I seriously had such a huge adrenaline rush that my legs seemed to have gone numb. I was FREAKING out because you see... had I not caught him he could have gone to any one of the 38 floors in the building and gotten off the first time the door opened... on who KNOWS what floor!!

We only have "purposeful" access to our floor, the parking garage, and the amenities floor with our key fab BUT if we get on the elevator and someone (on any floor) happens to have pushed the button for the elevator then we could ride the elevator to that floor.

So if I had not caught the elevator door before it closed then Hunter could have gotten on and taken a ride to any floor in the building and he would have gotten off the first time the door opened...I however, would not have been able to get to whatever floor it took him to unless it happened to be one of the few floors I have access to and the odds of the elevator being called to the same floor again only moments later are next to none!! So needless to say this was a MAJOR SAVE!

So, just to give you some background. Every morning, the moment Hunter wakes up, I go get him and we stumble down to the coffee bar in the Lobby to get some Java. He LOVES getting to push the button for the elevator. He gets on and pushes the ground floor and usually tries pushing many other buttons along the way. So, this little problem he actually learned from me! HOWEVER, we were not aware that he was able to open the front door to our condo... that changes EVERYTHING!!! The lock to the front door is only 1 way so it keeps people out but we can get out just by turning the knob, even if its locked.

So just to re-enact for you how this all went down... I have a photo demonstration below.

Hunter reaches for the handle (we knew he could reach it because he can open all other doors in the house, we just thought the front door was way too heavy...APPARENTLY NOT)!
Add ImageJust walks on through like he owns the place
Pushes the button for the elevator and waits patiently
Ding! The elevator arrives and he gets on!
I told Jordan the story when he got home, hours later, and he immediately started thinking up ways to rig the front door to keep Hunter inside. Since we are just renting we didn't want to make any huge changes or anything. So he rigged something that will be easily removed when we move out.
Hunter wasn't too happy when he discovered he was locked in

On to other things...

Month 15 was even more fun than all the previous months. It just gets better and better. The mini tantrums still continue but his ability to communicate has improved so they only come around close to nap time/bedtime. We are still traveling just about every weekend but "travel Hunter" has improved lately and he is sleeping better on the road... actually he has been sleeping the same as he does at home... all night! So hopefully "travel Hunter" is phasing out.

He says tons of words, too many to count. He recently has started 2 word sentences and will pretty much repeat anything we say.... A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G. He learned to say my name this month. Jordan calls me Ash and the other day he called me from the other room a few times and then we heard Hunter call me a few times too... except he doesn't quite have the "SH" sound down yet so it sounds like A**. It's pretty funny to hear because he has no idea what he is actually saying.

He climbs and crawls over EVERYTHING. We have found him on tables, counter tops, inside the dryer... pretty much nothing is off limits in his world.

This month we have been really amazed to see how much he actually does understand. This is such an interesting age because they know SO MUCH MORE than they can communicate. When we watch him it amazes us what he can do and how much he knows. He is such a little sponge and LOVES to learn knew things.

He is really starting to get attached to certain people in his little world (other than mom and dad). He definitely has his favorites and it's so sweet to see him get sad to see those people leave. We are still in the process of getting on with a pediatrician here in Jacksonville, so his 15 month checkup will be at 16 months. I will post stats afterward.
He is such a little sweetie and we can't wait to see what the future has in store!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love it when they say words that mean something else. Too funny. The pictures are great of you re-enacting his great escape. He is a little cutie.

Chad and Lindsey Eason said...

Wow - good idea to lock your lil' escapee inside! I can't get over how close a call that was...to think how scared you would've been (and him too once he realized momma' couldn't get to him!)...yikes!

amber said...

Ashlie, you truly have a gift of story telling. I love all of your blog posts and I can picture everything happening as I read. Love the pictures of course and we'll see you again next week! Hopefully travel Hunter, Emory and Kaitlyn will have a blast at the lake.

Holly said...

I agree with Amber, you tell & reenact that story so well I can just picture it happening!! So scarry but now that all is ok maybe just a little funny!