Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A moment worth documenting

So, I know I said I would post pictures of the ski trip when we returned, but I haven't finished collecting them all. For now, an entertaining story will have to do.

I ended up with a cold as we were coming home from the ski trip last week. As I expected, Hunter got it. Poor guy can't catch a break this cold season. This makes 3 colds in 3 months (all happening during the last week of each month).

Friday he began running a low grade fever, but he is still cutting the last of the 3 teeth he started cutting last week, so, I chalked it up to teeth.

By Saturday he was a major cranky pants and his fever got up to 103.7 (obviously not a teething temperature)!! Of course it was during weekend and at night so we called the doctor and they did their assessment and said to alternate tylenol and motrin every 3 hours to try to get it down to a more comfortable temperature. Then get this...they said don't call us back unless his fever gets to 105!!!!!!!! We were like, WHAT???, thinking...(yeah right if his fever gets that high we are not calling you at 3am only to wait for an hour for you to call us back...we would be taking him to the ER!)

Anyway, the alternating meds worked enough to get his fever back down to 102.5 (which they said to only expect to be able to bring his fever down a degree). We did a luke warm bath multiple times because this seemed helped the fever as well as made him less cranky. We all know how he loves baths! Then they said call back in the morning with an update.

So, as i expected it would, Saturday night was pretty rough. He went to bed at 8pm and woke at 9pm for dirty diaper..went back to sleep and woke at midnight again with high fever (103.7). We dosed him again and poor thing was so miserable that he could not go back to sleep until 5 am!!!

I tried letting him sleep with me in the guest bedroom because everytime I put him back in the crib he would scream bloody murder and I certainly wasn't going to leave him in there to scream when he feels so bad.

Well, if you remember I said I am sick too and couldn't sleep well, because of coughing. So I had taken Nyquil. Therefore, when I went to take care of him I was PRRRRRREEETTTTYYYY GROGGY! I laid down with him to try to get him to go back to sleep and I COULD NOT stay awake for anything! He was punching, poking and crawling all over me and trying to climb off the bed. I knew this wasn't a safe situation seeing as how he could fall right out of the bed head first and have free reign of the house (assuming he landed the fall ok). I would have gotten Jordan up to help take care of him but he had taken Nyquil to help him sleep too! What a pair we were!

So I did what any sane mom would do...

I got in his crib with him!

I laid there (in his crib) and dozed in and out of sleep as he still continued to punch, poke and crawl all over me. But hey, he wasn't crying and he wasn't going to fall out of his crib!

So, Jordan wakes up at like 2am and looks over on the video monitor and sees me laying in the crib with Hunter (who still wasn't asleep) and he comes upstairs and is like "Uh, Ash? Are you ok? What are you doing?"

Then of course we laughed histerically because it was then that I realized how RIDICULOUS it probably looked on the video monitor to see me in the crib with Hunter...but hey it got the job done!

Needleess to say Jordan helped me out of the crib and we ended up making a pallet in the floor of the walk-in closet in the second master bedroom so Hunter could crawl around in a safe environment, as long as he wanted, while we could sleep (since we both were dosed up with meds)

So, Jordan and I slept in the floor of our guest bedroom (empty) closet from 3-7am while Hunter crawled around and finally fell asleep around 5am and slept until 7am...when he woke up hungry and with fever again.

We took him in to see a doctor Sunday and it turns out he has a double ear infection. That explains the high fever! Now he is on antibiotics and feeling MUCH better! (in other words, no more co-sleeping in the crib)

They checked me too, while we were there, and it turns out I have an ear infection and sinus infection so they gave me antibiotics and cough meds.

So, no more Nyquil for me!

And no, I do not have any pictures to document the event. And in case your wandering the crib has a maximum weight limit of 350 pounds, so apparently it would hold Jordan too! I am guessing I am not the first parent to do that since the crib has such a high weight capacity...probably that way for a reason.

4 comments:

Holly said...

This story cracks me up! What momma's won't do for their babies! I love it! Addison has had a bit of a cold too, but thankfully she isn't mobile yet, so I have just been sleeping with her in the recliner. I think that is probably lots better than the crib :)! Hope you both are better really soon!!

Mary said...

you DID sleep in the crib! That is funny!!!!

You are a really great mommy!

brianandlauren said...

OMG!!! That is hilarious! I really wish I could've seen you on the video monitor! I hope I don't ever have to do that...you know I wouldn't be able to get out!

BrookeMahan said...

OMG I am crying from laughing so hard at this blog post! HYSTERICAL!!! Glad everyone is feeling better, but man that is quite a story! Maybe I should try that since Owen hasn't been sleeping that well since we have been back to Pittsburgh and he is teething. He just ends up in bed with us...terrible habit I know, but we love to cuddle up with our little guy!