Sunday, February 3, 2008

Nesting, Cravings and Sympathy Weight Oh My!

So, this pregnancy has really done a number on Jordan. Ever since the beginning he has had more “cravings” than I have, gained more weight than I have… (although I just passed him up at the beginning of the third trimester), and his “nesting” instinct has been stronger than mine. For those of you who don’t know what Couvade Syndrome is, it is described as “sympathy pregnancy.” Some fathers get it and some don’t. Some common symptoms are mood swings, increased appetite or cravings, morning sickness and sympathy weight. Generally, Couvade Syndrome begins in the end of the first trimester and increases in severity until the third trimester. The only known cure for Couvade is -- birth.

Those of you who know Jordan know that he can put away a lot of food if he wants to. So, it comes as no surprise that he has continued that skill throughout my pregnancy. What has surprised me is that for the first time ever he actually gained weight during football season. He usually really struggles to “make weight” (meaning he is underweight) every Friday at weigh-in during football season. It is because he burns so many calories during the season and is only able to eat breakfast and dinner because of practice being so close to lunch. I mean for the past 5 years he has gone to some pretty extreme measures to ensure that he would weigh enough come Friday weigh-in. So, it was quite surprising to hear that he gained 15 pounds in the first 15 weeks of my pregnancy (I had not gained a pound!). He actually was told to lose weight for the first time in his football career…that is until he told the weigh-in guy that “his wife was pregnant”. After that they had sort of an “understanding” and he was never bothered about it again.

Despite him leveling off in the weight gain department his cravings, however, are just as strong as ever. The old joke about the husband having to leave in the middle of the night to go get his pregnant wife pickles and ice cream, or whatever she may be craving, is better suited for him! He has gone on more “outings” for his own cravings then for any of my cravings. You would think he is the pregnant one!!

Nesting is something that is generally done, by the mother, right before birth. It’s a sudden surge in energy and an urge to get things ready for the little one to come home. I have experienced said urge but have been unable to follow through due to my bed rest restrictions. That has not stopped Jordan though…are we surprised!! Among some other “projects” he has taken on recently, which I will fill you in on in future postings, he has decided Hunter needs a toy chest! He has been out in the garage for the past 2 weeks building this chest, at ALL hours of the night. In fact I just woke up at 3 a.m. (for one of my many potty breaks) only to find, Jordan is nowhere to be found!! I looked everywhere for him until I saw the light on in the garage. He was out there putting some finishing touches on Hunter’s toy chest, before he arrives, because you know he’s really going to be using that chest in the first few months!

This pregnancy has been such a blessing and a gift from God, and I am just glad I could share some of my wonderful “pregnancy symptoms” with Jordan. It is believed that the stronger the “Couvade Syndrome” the stronger the bond between daddy and baby when the baby is born. If that’s true then those two will be inseparable!



Hunter's Toy Chest (in progress)
Jordan working on Hunter's Toy ChestJordan cooking dinner

No comments: