Friday, February 15, 2008

Back to Bedrest...

After 14 weeks of bedrest, terbutaline and niphedipine meds I was released on Tuedsday and told I could resume normal activities, but I had to stay on the niphedipne till 36 weeks. Well, after 36 hours of freedoom (and only one "outing" to Babies R Us...why couldn't it have been a mani pedi or something).....I ended up in L&D with horrible "back labor" contractions 3 minutes apart. This was totally unlike the pre-term labor contractions I have expeienced the last 15 weeks because of the excruciating back pain and pelvic pressure that came with each contraction. I tried every trick I new at home, bath, tylenol, eating, guzzling water, resting on my left side, I even took an extra dose of my niphedipine (which was not scheduled)......and 3 baths cycles later I gave up and said ok thats it this is not normal, I can't walk, I can't talk and I'm having to do my "breathing" through these contractions. I can't be in this much pain and not be in "Labor"!! So we called the OB and went to L&D. I get there and they of course hook me up immediately and see that I am contracting now every 2 minutes and still in horrible pain, they check my cervix it's still 3cm dialated 70% effaced (same as Tuesday) so OB decides since I am only 34w5d she will try to stop the labor first......even though if I was 35 weeks (which I will be Saturday) she wouldn't stop it. So 3 shots of terbutaline later......and no results....contractions still strong, painful, every 2 min....they admit me for "expectant delivery". I lay there from 9:00pm to 7:00a.m....in bad pain, hooked up to IV, and monitors, with the nurses checking my "progress" every 45 minutes.....and by 7:00a.m there was still no progress (meaning I was still 3cm dialated 70% effaced). My OB finally says well it seems your stalled out. If this were 10 days from now I would give you pitocin and get things moving but I can't since your only 34w5d......but I also can't do anything else to stop these contractions for you. So, my advice is to go back to bedrest until February 28th (my next OB appointment where I will be 36w3d) and see if that will take care of the contractions since the meds aren't.....I wanted to scream!!! I was in so much pain and I could hear little Valentine's babies being born all night and I just layed there with no progress and no pain reiief!!!! So, anyway, I am back home in bed, still contracting every 2 min, and still in pain. I mean I don't want him to come this early but I don't want these horrible back labor pains for the next 2 weeks either, I need sleep!!!! Anyway, if I make it to my next appointment, she will do some "procedures" (I'll spare you the details) to move things along. Until then...

5 comments:

Meagan said...

Boooo doctor who is letting you suffer! Hang in there sis - we are praying for you.

Me

Sarah W. said...

EEEK!!!! That sounds horrible, Ashlie. If it is any consolation....it will be worth it in the end.

I have been thinking about you all day! Hope you are feeling better.

Jennifer said...

Oh Ashlie, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I guess that Hunter is really needing to stay in there for a while longer. You are such a trooper and you will have lots of stories to tell him when he's older!

Alison said...

You poor thing!! I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Hang in there and soon you'll have your little guy in your arms :-)

Adrianne said...

I am so sorry you are having to experience this and still awaiting that wonderful end result! Good Luck with the 28th ;)